7-year-old ‘traumatised’ after she and her grandmother attacked by cows in Snowdonia

A granddaughter was left ”traumatised” after she has and her grandmother were attacked by a herd of ”frenzied” cows on a footpath in Snowdonia.

Lisa Wells was seriously injured when she tried to protect her 7-year-old granddaughter, Bethan Ritchie, after around 20 cows and a bull charged at them.

The 49-year-old, from Abergele, suffered broken ribs and fell unconscious after the attack.

Miss Wells’ daughter, Gemma Ritchie, said her mum was a highly experienced walker and mountaineer and that the incident has left her daughter, Bethan, upset and traumatised.

She can’t remember much because she went unconscious as they were kicking her and banging into her. She came to get up and escape and then it’s all a bit sketchy. Bethan was so upset and traumatised and she couldn’t bear to see what was happening. From what she’s told me she put Bethan in front of her, to protect her from the cows running at them. She did everything she could to shield her.



Eyewitnesses described the animals ”foaming at the mouth” as they circled around Miss Wells and the schoolgirl.

One of the mountain bikers who tried to rescue the pair said it was lucky that no-one had been killed. Alun Jones, 47, said he and his brother Andy heard screams coming from the field.

The cows were going nuts, circling around them and getting closer and closer. There was a large bull as well. We could tell something was not right, as cows don’t normally react like that. We went over to see if we could help and expected the animals would move on with a little persuasion, but they were foaming at the mouth, and the bull was digging its head into the ground and rutting with its front legs.

The cows dropped back about 50 to a 100 metres and at that point the lady and the little girl and my brother made a run for the fence line. But the cows unfortunately charged and as Lisa tried to get through the gate the cows hit her and kept hitting her before we could get her out. The next person might not be so lucky and you could be looking at a dead body. It’s just lucky that no-one died.


Mr Jones said Ms Wells managed to stay conscious while they got to safety. She was later airlifted to hospital in Stoke-on-Trent where she is due to undergo surgery.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *